About Us

Metro Christian Fellowship is an evangelical charismatic church on the south side of Kansas City, Missouri. Our worship services embrace heartfelt worship, expression of spiritual gifts, prayer for the sick and teaching from the Bible. Visit us at our website.

Connecting with the Father

On the cabinet that hangs over my desk, I have a bunch of pictures of our missionaries from different parts of the world such as India, Nepal, Thailand, China, Guatemala, Africa and the Middle East. It’s fun to come in early in the morning and greet them and begin to pray for them.

But seeing there pictures every day is also a reminder to me. Every one of them has an intense prayer life, devotional life and a steady diet of reading God’s Word. They really have to rely on God to get them through their day, every day. They live in nations that don’t like Americans especially Christian Americans. Most of them live on a less than adequate income. They live where you can’t drink the water and the electricity is not dependable, where the temperature often climbs to 120 degrees or higher and raw sewage flows down the streets. Some live where car bombs explode with regularity or where religious wars never cease and tension fills the air.

When you live in these different kinds of situations your awareness of God and your dependence on Him becomes very real. But what about us here in Kansas City? Shouldn’t we also have an intense prayer life, devotional life and steady diet of reading God’s Word? Well maybe our need isn’t as great here. We can drink the water right out of the tap or turn the AC on when it gets too warm. We truly are blessed in America. As blessed as we are in this nation, is our need for God any less than our missionaries?

Reading through the Bible in 90 days has been a real ‘eye-opener’ for me. It was so good to read it straight through as a story. I actually read it in 42 days because I just couldn’t put it down. Knowing His story is really important if we’re going to share it with others. It’s also important because it points out how much we need Him in our lives. My day just seems to go so much better when I start it out communicating with my Creator. Whether it’s by praying, doing a devotional, singing songs, reading the Word or all of them combined it just makes my day better.

If you’re not connecting with the Father on a regular basis I want to challenge you to go there. I believe you’ll be glad you did. So let me leave you with these words from Ps.119 verses 9-16.

“How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”

Randy Catlett

No comments: