About Us

Metro Christian Fellowship is an evangelical charismatic church on the south side of Kansas City, Missouri. Our worship services embrace heartfelt worship, expression of spiritual gifts, prayer for the sick and teaching from the Bible. Visit us at our website.

Children and the Word

I can remember sitting on my mom’s bed every night for our “quiet time.” It all started when I was 4 years old and my brother’s were just little. I, being the oldest was to set the example in all the years to come of what it looked like to be attentive to Jesus during these times. I would use all sorts of tactics to make sure my mom didn’t know that I was really in to what was happening. There was the “I’m asleep” approach as well as the I’m bored “look”.

My mom kept talking and forging ahead with the nightly example of what it looks like to spend time with Him. We were able to see modeled through her how important it is to know Him and the truth that you can’t know Him without spending time with Him. She was faithful for several years and never wavered based upon our emotions or seeming desire to listen.

As I grew up and started to mature in Him, I would recall these times fondly. What happened in these times with Jesus and my mom were priceless. I heard His voice for the first time. I had a spirit of fear leave. I had the foundation of scripture laid down under me. And most importantly I learned to make and keep my appointments with a God who adores me.

So for all of you parents who feel like your kids are bored or falling asleep during your quiet times, it might very well be code for “keep going”

Jen Parker

No comments: